On Monday ST announced that it is a core partner of the second-generation smart meter program being rolled out by ENEL (through its subsidiary e-Distribuzione) in Italy. The massive program, with over 40 million new meters to be deployed, includes about 32 million meters to replace the current first-generation meters with the remainder slated to satisfy customer requests and operate in new connections. ST has been a key supplier of ENEL’s smart-meter programs since 2001, with over 40 million units deployed across Italy, , Eastern Europe and Latin America.
For all of these, ST will supply the latest evolution of its PLC System-on-Chip programmable platforms, as well as energy-conscious 32-bit application microcontrollers, high-efficiency power-supply ICs, and discrete semiconductors for power control and switching.
The e-Distribuzione smart meter will be demo-ed at the Utility Week trade show in Amsterdam next week (October 3-5), where ST will be located at booth 2A19.
What To See
At this show, ST will showcase products and solutions that contribute to make cities smarter, with a specific focus on new architectures for electricity, gas and water meters as well as modular add-ons for existing devices and systems:
- Advanced metering ICs and platforms for ultra-accuracy energy measurement
- New certified, multi-standard, low power and compact Power Line Communication (PLC) modem to support present and future market needs
- Broadly deployed, field-proven, interoperable solutions from leading smart grid players based on ST Power Line Communications (PLC) technology
- High-performance ARM® Cortex® M-based microcontrollers with secure connections
- New extended Ultra Low Power microcontroller family for Water, Gas, Heat Cost Allocator (HCA), and Smart Home applications
- Industry-leading Sub-GHz transceiver providing the most power-efficient solution for Wireless M-Bus, 6LoWPAN, and Sigfox networks
- Low Power Wide Area Sigfox and LoRa solutions for Smart Metering and Smart City applications
- Certified ultra-low power wireless modules for a LoRa, Sigfox, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi
- Easy-to-use secure solutions for utility assets