On Monday ST announced that it is a core partner of the second-generation smart meter program being rolled out by ENEL (through its subsidiary e-Distribuzione) in Italy. The massive program, with over 40 million new meters to be deployed, includes about 32 million meters to replace the current first-generation meters with the remainder slated to satisfy customer requests and operate in new connections. ST has been a key supplier of ENEL’s smart-meter programs since 2001, with over 40 million units deployed across Italy, Spain, Eastern Europe and Latin America.
For all of these, ST will supply the latest evolution of its PLC System-on-Chip programmable platforms, as well as energy-conscious 32-bit application microcontrollers, high-efficiency power-supply ICs, and discrete semiconductors for power control and switching.
The e-Distribuzione smart meter will be demo-ed at the Utility Week trade show in Amsterdam next week (October 3-5), where ST will be located at booth 2A19.
What To See
At this show, ST will showcase products and solutions that contribute to make cities smarter, with a specific focus on new architectures for electricity, gas and water meters as well as modular add-ons for existing devices and systems:
- Advanced metering ICs and platforms for ultra-accuracy energy measurement
- New certified, multi-standard, low power and compact Power Line Communication (PLC) modem to support present and future market needs
- Broadly deployed, field-proven, interoperable solutions from leading smart grid players based on ST Power Line Communications (PLC) technology
- High-performance ARM® Cortex® M-based microcontrollers with secure connections
- New extended Ultra Low Power microcontroller family for Water, Gas, Heat Cost Allocator (HCA), and Smart Home applications
- Industry-leading Sub-GHz transceiver providing the most power-efficient solution for Wireless M-Bus, 6LoWPAN, and Sigfox networks
- Low Power Wide Area Sigfox and LoRa solutions for Smart Metering and Smart City applications
- Certified ultra-low power wireless modules for a LoRa, Sigfox, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi
- Easy-to-use secure solutions for utility assets